I recently sent out a short survey on career break travel. The results were very interesting. One stood out.
If you could wave a magic wand and remove all obstacles/responsibilities/obligations/fear would you take a career break to travel? 100% of respondents said YES! One.Hundred.Percent.
This made me really excited! My inner cheerleader squealed, “Just think of all the people you can help with their career break travel goals! They’ve already said that this is something that they want!”
Of course, the more level headed of my saboteur voices reminds me of that clip in Dumb and Dumber when Lloyd says to Mary, “So you’re saying there’s a chance!”
Of course everyone would take a career break to travel if you could wave a magic wand that made their problems disappear!
They’d probably also request a unicorn that poops gold nuggets, an endless supply of ice-cream, and a live-in masseuse. Don’t forget the money tree!
Trouble is obstacles do exist.
Most of us have jobs that we are responsible to/for and in return our employers provide us with incomes to support our lifestyles. We use that money to buy groceries for the family and pay for childcare and doctor’s visits. Occasionally we might pick up something for ourself like a gallon of wine and a fashion magazine – er wait, maybe that’s just me…
Not to mention, our parents are getting older and are at greater risk for health concerns, and student loans and mortgages pretty much guarantee that we keep our nose to the grindstone.
BUT – what if? What if there was a way? Guess what? There is. There always is. And, surprise, it requires commitment.
Fear & Lack of Commitment.
Many people fall victim to saying something like, “Its on my bucket list” or “Once the kids graduate” or “After we’ve paid off the mortgage”. And we all know that fabled someday is not a day of the week. So what are you going to do about it? Do you want it bad enough? Do you have confidence to commit to what you really want in life? For your sake, I hope so. We’ve already talked about what regrets the dying have on their death bed… Want to know how many said, “I really regret taking that sabbatical with my family where we hiked across Spain and watched the sunrise in Portugal”? NONE.
Resources & Faith.
Well, the faith department is going to be all you (and if you’re struggling with this one, feel free to get me on the line and we can coach through it! I digress…) so I’m going to chip in and do my best to provide you with some resources to get you started. What I’ve experienced is that once you start playing around with the resources you see that maybe this crazy scheme might work after all!
Pause the inner voice that says it isn’t possible.
I invite you to press pause on that inner saboteur voice that is screaming at you right now to not even click the below links because “you know that won’t happen in a million years! Why would you even want to set yourself up for disappointment?” And then a softer more subtle wise voice quietly says, “Yeah, but what if it IS possible? You’re certainly not going to get there without exploring the opportunities so let’s have a look!”
(All sites listed in random order)
Helpful Resources on Money:
- Financing Your Career Break
- How to Plan a Sabbatical Style Career Break
- How I Financed My Career Break
- If You’re Thinking of Taking a Career Break, How Will You Pay for it?
More Resources on Money:
- Sell Your Crap. Pay Off Your Debt. Do What You Love.
- Dream. Save. Do. An Action Plan for Dreamers.
- Round the World Travel Expenses by Country
- How Much Does an Entire Round the World Trip Cost?
Travel with Kids:
- Family Sabbatical in Spain
- A Round-the-World Travel Sabbatical with Kids
- 7 Things I Wish I Knew Before Taking Our Family Sabbatical
- An Introduction to Roadschooling
Telling Your Travel Story (for maximum career leverage):
- What is a Career Break?
- Career Break or Sabbatical: How to Decide What is Right for You
- How to Take a Year Off Without Ruining Your Career
- 5 Ways to Re-Launch Your Career After a Career Break
Logistics & Planning:
- Plan Your Career Break in 30 Days
- Career Break 101: How to Plan for Long Term Travel
- If You Were to Take a Year Sabbatical, How Would You Spend it To Enhance Your Career?
- How to Prepare for Long Term Travel and Living Abroad
Do you have a stellar travel resource? Please share it below in the comments!
And if you liked this recourse list, I’d like to recommend a new one I put together recently. Check it out here!